The first North American Journey Man

Read the diary blog of
Chris Koehn

Export DXF

Q/A about D-Wall, D-Roof, D-Floor/ Ceiling, D-CAM
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page

Export DXF

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 02:01

I have a drawing in D-Cad2D in feet and inches. I need to export the file DXF for the recipient. After I export the file, I import the dxf file in VectorWorks to verify the information. All dimensions come in inches (example 136.25) I need to show dimensions in feet and inches and see just what I see In my D-Cad2D file. The only solution I have found is to delete all the dimensions and re-dimension the whole drawing and export dxf from my cad program VectorWorks. Which is no fun time-consuming and could lead to many errors. Please advise.

Kayaker

Kayaker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Re: Export DXF

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 06:23

I am not very used in feet-inch but as far as I know our dimension lines for feet-inch are very special and cannot be transfered to DXF.

if (ahnung == 0) { read "Tipps & Tricks"; use SEARCH; use Blog; } else { use brain; make post; }

Joachim Neumann

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 13:52

Sorry to say, not being able to transfer DXF in feet and inches is not a good thing.

Kayaker

Kayaker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 14:10

As far as I know, dxf is not able to transfer any measure unit. It only knows absolute values, and the result must be interpreted by the reading cad.

Der_Planer
Power-Experte
Power-Experte

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 14:38

This is my information too and additionaly our feet-inch values are very special and cannot be shown in other cad programs.

if (ahnung == 0) { read "Tipps & Tricks"; use SEARCH; use Blog; } else { use brain; make post; }

Joachim Neumann

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 14:47

Now what? I 've exported dxf drawings before and didn't have this problem using the exact same procedures based on my first post. Now I have a problem! Please advise.

Thanks!
Kayaker

Kayaker
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 15:00

Did you export feet-inch dimension lines before and it did work?
Or did you export inch dimension lines before?

Joachim Neumann

Post Posted: 29.08.2012 15:03

I export to DXFs quite a bit, and, have found that exporting "dimensions" can be problematic. When I export a DXF into AutoCAD, for example, it will follow the base units of the entire drawing file. This is normally through 1-06-1 or similar in D-CAM or "roof areas" and things like that in the roof module. I then will "match properties" to a normal feet-in dim style in AutoCAD that I have already set up, and, the units normally convert / follow along.

My recollection is DXFs do not include "units" as part of the data saved in the file, just locations/coordinates of each element. I looked briefly at a few DXF files I have, and, could not find an entry that was associated with scale. (DXFs are text files, so you can view / edit them manually...)

-Joe

jmiller
Dauerposter
Dauerposter

Reply to topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

Timber Design Modules

Jump to: