Read the diary blog of
Chris Koehn

Shadows when viewing from distance.

Q/A about D-Wall, D-Roof, D-Floor/ Ceiling, D-CAM
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page

Shadows when viewing from distance.

Post Posted: 13.11.2008 21:47

Hi.

Is it possible to avoid these shadows that makes the white wooden facade look with a lot of black, when viewing from distance? I always use "textures and edges" mode, because it gives the most correct view (at least when closer to the house. The facade is made from profiled beams, as you can see on the detailed view. Maybe it is something about light, but I don't know what settings to use. Or can it be something about lines from structure objects behind facade boards (even though the facade panels are about 50 mm from other parts of the wall behind)??

Any suggestions how to make it look better, or I just have to take the pitures at a closer view?

Thorvald
Tera Poster
Tera Poster

Re: Shadows when viewing from distance.

Post Posted: 13.11.2008 23:26

What you see, are the black edge lines. They are always 1 pixel wide. The more distance view the closer they are together. With very close edge lines, the facees seem to be black. There are 2 possibilities to avoid this effect in normal OpenGL mode:
- press <3> on the number keyboard, then you see textures without black edges. If this picture has too less contrast, you can play with the light settings
- if you want to capture the picture for printout, you can define a zoom factor. In the resulting picture, the black lines will appear more narrow.
caution: too big factor can possibly need too much memory, and the program will hang up. Try factor 2...3 for the first attempt.

Der_Planer
Power-Experte
Power-Experte

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 07:12

Ok great, sounds interesting. I will look at these things when I am more ready to make the pictures. I still have a few things to make on the model - like a garage and small houses for bicycles etc. But those I will just make as volume models for now.

Thorvald
Tera Poster
Tera Poster

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 08:04

I think I would like to try option 2, I tried option 1, but is not very satisfied. But where do I set this zoom factor that you talk about in option 2??

Thorvald
Tera Poster
Tera Poster

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 11:07

You find it in the picture storage menu:

Der_Planer
Power-Experte
Power-Experte

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 13:47

Hmmmm., this I don't understand - If I change the ratio to t.ex 3 the size of the picture becomes very small. Aah, I understand now - because you might work in meters and I in millimeters. Ok had to go up to a factor 7 to get a acceptable result. This makes the files size of the png-file huge, and going higher was not possible for computerpower. Then it is possible to take a screen-dump when viewing the picture, and save that - and that reduces the file size drastically - from 71 Mb to 180 Kb...

I found another method that also worked quite well. This is to take high resolution prints to PDF-file. If you then wants picture files that you can insert on drawings you can again make screen dumps when viewing the pdf-file.

Thorvald
Tera Poster
Tera Poster

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 14:29

The 'Ratio' is a factor which should not change with the used unit. We will change this with version 8.

if (ahnung == 0) { read "Tipps & Tricks"; use SEARCH; use Blog; } else { use brain; make post; }

Joachim Neumann

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 14:46

Yeah, to make a factor 7, I had to write 7000.

Thorvald
Tera Poster
Tera Poster

Post Posted: 14.11.2008 15:10

Thorvald:
... take high resolution prints to PDF-file. If you then wants picture files that you can insert on drawings you can again make screen dumps when viewing the pdf-file.
Why so complicated?
You can open the large picture with any pixel-software, and change the scale.

Der_Planer
Power-Experte
Power-Experte

Post Posted: 15.11.2008 00:02

One way to capture a screen image is within the program using the methods shown above with creates a png of the OpenGL view.
Another way to do it is with a screen capture option on your keyboard. Pressing the Prt Scr button, (if you have one) will capture a screen image of your screen and place it onto your computer's clipboard.
From there you open a program like MSPaint and then paste that image onto that screen.
Once there you can crop to size and make other text notes on the image and save as a jpeg or bitmap or other file types.
Once this image is saved as a jpeg it can be resized in any standard picture modifying Software for pixel sizes for example.

These pictures can then be pasted back into drawings using import/picture 1-04-2 in 2dplanCAD.

see image below:
Georgetown, MA, USA

Version 13.04, 12.03, 11.06, 10.02, 9.05, 8.04, 7.03, and 5.05

Jim Rogers
Super Extrem Poster
Super Extrem Poster

Post Posted: 15.11.2008 01:24

Hello Jim,

1. Image Capture by PrintScreen does not avoid the black lines from a far away object. You can only get this advance by increasing the picture size with the Ratio option. The picture will be rendered to a multiple size, and the black edge lines are always 1 pixel wide. You can decrease the large picture again, then the edge lines are still there, but they are not longer so clear and black.

2. You can use PrtScr and MSPaint, but a much more better solution is a capture software SnagIt from www.techsmith.com
If you do not yet know it, you should really try it out.

Der_Planer
Power-Experte
Power-Experte

Post Posted: 15.11.2008 01:29

Thanks, you are right, of course about the black lines.....
I have SnagIt, but don't use it as much as I should.......
Georgetown, MA, USA

Version 13.04, 12.03, 11.06, 10.02, 9.05, 8.04, 7.03, and 5.05

Jim Rogers
Super Extrem Poster
Super Extrem Poster

Post Posted: 15.11.2008 09:54

Jim Rogers:
Another way to do it is with a screen capture option on your keyboard. Pressing the Prt Scr button, (if you have one) will capture a screen image of your screen and place it onto your computer's clipboard.
From there you open a program like MSPaint and then paste that image onto that screen.

This is the method I normally use. Excepth from I use Paint Shop Pro to paste the image into.... Smile

Well - the other comment about resizng the big format picture is of course correct. But you might think about advances and disadvantages.

- High resolution and big format pictures saved from OpenGL: This method takes a long time and you have to resize the picture afterwards.
- The method with high resolution prints to PDF gives PDF-pictures that looks as good as or even perhaps better than from the first method. And if you are not going to put the picture on a drawing you are finished. (Except from that the PDF-picture for some reason is rotated 180 degr., I have no idea why). In the cases where you want to get a picture out of it you can make screen dump, or maybe you have Software that can convert PDF to JPEG.

See my examples.

Thorvald
Tera Poster
Tera Poster

Reply to topicReply to topic Page 1 of 1

Timber Design Modules

Jump to: